Spoil your dog this March and make your own dog treats. Not only will it save you a lot of packaging and money, but you’ll rest easy knowing exactly what is going in your beloved pooch’s mouth. With just 4 ingredients and an easy method, these treats come together quicker than you can say ‘good boy!’
1 cup diced pumpkin
¼ cup smooth peanut butter
3 cups wholemeal flour
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celcius and line 2 x baking trays with baking paper.
2. Steam the pumpkin in a double boiler until fork tender. Smash and set aside.
3 Using the paddle attachment in a bowl with an electric mixer, beat the mashed pumpkin, eggs, peanut butter and 2.5 cups of flour together until a sticky dough is formed and it all comes together. If required, add extra flour until the dough comes together.
4. Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough until it’s smooth.
5. Using the rolling pin, roll out to desired thickness (0.5cm-1cm is ideal).
6. Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place onto lined baking sheets.
7. Place into the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven. Store in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze.